Sunday, January 23, 2011

Farmer Lisa's back

Here we are, mid-January, vines dormant, and we're enjoying weather in the high 60s. With no end in sight (well, next 10 days.)

So I've gotten a good jump on soil amendments & mulching.   I'm continuing the plan of 1/2 c E.B.Stone organic fruit & citrus food per vine.  Not a good time to add fertilizer, but this blend seems to be more of a soil additive and very slow / long-term acting, so seems OK to add now.

In addition, I'm topping that off with:
- 1/3 c iron sulfate, to address mineral deficiency in soil
- as much steer manure as I can carry - about 2 cubic feet per row
- an extra layer of live oak mulch

I've completed rows 7 & 8, row 6 has everything but iron.  Will continue down the vineyard throughout the week, hope to be mostly done by our next rains.

No comments: