Saturday, February 23, 2008

Spring Pruning & Dormant Spray

I've finally finished pruning the vines! It took a surprising amount of time, given that they had already been rough pruned - about 2 hrs/row. Yikes!

Last year I left WAY too many buds on - so because of that, and the fact that I'm trying to get powdery mildew (PM) under control, I pruned them VERY aggressively. I may have killed some even. But my goal this year is to get healthy vines, not lots of grapes.

Just before, and about a week after in some cases, I sprayed with a dormant spray of Lime Sulfur (1 quart / 3 gallons) to kill any over-wintering PM. I started spraying before final pruning, but quickly realized that was a waste of time, so instead pruned and sprayed about a week after.

In a few weeks, as buds swell, I'll know better how I did!

Posted by Picasa

No comments: