Friday, May 21, 2010

Wines of the Columbia Gorge AVA

Tonight we're at the WineMaker conference in Stevenson, Washington (on the Columbia River Gorge).  We had a chance to taste a variety of wines from home winemakers and local vintners.  Winners (to me):
1st place: Cathedral Ridge Winery.  I especially liked the Zinfandel, Bruce was a fan of the Cab Sauvignon.  Best name goes to Bordheauxd Red (they are based on Hood River, OR after all)
2nd place: Strawberry wine, from Jason at Ancient Fire Wines in New Hampshire
3rd place: Rhubarb Wine, from a home winemaker in the Pacific Northwest.  I need to find the winemaker to thank him, then plant some rhubarb and try a batch.  Second time I've been impressed by rhubarb in a wine.

We learned lots today, which I'll hopefully summarize within the next few days.

No comments: